Rough winter huh? I spent some of it down in ole' Mexico. We got lucky and missed the cold spell & huge dump of white crap that hit our lil' part of the world. :-) It was back to reality & the freezer this week though. While I was in Mexico I ordered the propeller shaft & some replacement CV joints for the Python Drive.
Here's what happened to the Python Drive.
When I extended the hull I planned to use a Python Drive and extended shaft. The company was really nice to deal with and sent me the extended shaft (1m). The instructions they provided, a set of photos, illustrated how to remove the CV joints and install the longer shaft. What they didn't show was how to deal with the thread locker (Loctite???) they used to secure the splines to the CV joint.
|Cracked bearing race|
So long story short I contacted the company expressing my displeasure in their directions. They offered no consolation at all. They were willing to sell me two new CV's at 200 euros each!
I went to work on the ole' Interwebs using my marine engineering logistics background and identified the CV joints as being the exact same ones used in mid-late 90's Jeep Liberties & Cherokee's. Next came eBay and Google and I located a pair for under $40 USD each! They were waiting the same day I picked up the prop shaft.
|New Jeep CV joint|
|Mating CV to shaft|
|Dust boots slid on the shaft|
That's about it for now. Going to try to dig myself into the boat shed this week. Need to take some measurements for the skeg & rudder shaft. I'm not going to use the welded aluminum skeg thinking the heavy stainless channel being a better choice.