Friday, March 4, 2011

Getting everything lined up....

takes some effort. Once the snow clears I'll have to shift some toys (boat & car) around and get the shed setup as a workshop. I'm pretty sure I know how that's going to go together.

One of the things that's concerned me a bit was the amount of epoxy we'll have to mix by hand to laminate the entire hull of the boat. Originally I was considering infusing the hull but it's unlikely I'll get a good vacuum seal on the plywood, that and the lack of a decent flange pretty much eliminates that option. It might work and I still might try infusion on the inside of the hull. More on that later.

Anyhow, mixing epoxy. The Admiral is chief epoxy mixer on this project. We've done a few small experiments mixing the sticky stuff and have made a few messes. I've personally mixed one batch that failed when I was putting the bows for the shed together. So after doing a lot of research and asking some questions I've bought this unit....

Sticky Stuff Epoxy Dispenser....



This device will meter the correct proportions of resin and hardener. We're still left with the mixing issue. Doing some more research I found some mechanical mixers then discovered the static mixing nozzel! Going back to the manufacturer of the dispenser they have a number of options to add static mixing to the dispenser. We've settled on this addition which will (I hope) deliver correctly measured and thoroughly mixed epoxy without any guess work or cramped hands!

Total cost about $375 but I'm told this is a good investment and will likely pay for itself in reduced waste and errors.

Standby.....

2 comments:

  1. Seems like a good idea. I have mixed up tones of the stuff over the years when I used to make trailers. Always did it buy hand with a drill mixer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope it works well Kev. Lori was to be the one doing all the measuring and mixing so this should help eliminate any errors. I can probably sell it when I'm done for as much as I paid for it. Just a couple more weeks and we should be almost ready to start.

    ReplyDelete