Thursday, October 21, 2010

I think this stuff.....

was meant to go on the outside of a house? Oh well it'll work this way too. Got the first section of Tyvek up tonight. I was hoping it'd be more opaque. I guess a blue tinge will be the "ordre du jour" from now on!

I reinforced all the staples with good old fashioned hockey stick tape! :-)


Saturday, October 16, 2010

After almost a full month.....

the outside is finished. Well pretty much. I still have a few gaps to fill in and a few small holes to patch. Otherwise it's all shrink wrapped and water tight! (I hope)

Tight as a drum!

Sorry don't know how to adjust the pic for the blue shift.

Now the real work begins to turn this space into a boat building shop! Going to go play with the IROC tomorrow one last day before it has to be put away for the winter. Standby....

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Progress can be slow at times

but we made some today!

Wait for it....

Wait for it....

Wait for it....

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh! No! What happened there? Well the operative word in the first sentence was "some"! Sorry just ran outta steam to finish it up all today. Sorry!

Back to the boat shed.....

Heat sealing the seams is hard tedious work. It takes about an hour or so to do one side. You have to be careful or you melt through the two layers of plastic. Takes a bit of concentration but works well once you catch on.

Lori says I gots a nice butt!

Woke up this morning to find blood all over the kitchen floor. Figured the two boy cats were fighting or something only to find out later.....

Couldn't have been too smart a meece to sneak into a house with 5 cats! Doh! Way to go Baby!

Saturday, October 9, 2010

I think I'm slowing down

in my old age! *sigh* Things just don't seem to be going as easy as they should. Been pretty tired lately. Dunno why.

Had my buddy Andrew helping today. We got the barn doors hung and the plastic on the back of the shed up. We tried to hang a large piece on the side but the wind kicked up and tore out all the staples we had holding it in place.

You can see the piece we tried to hang on the right hand side in the back corner. It took off in a light breeze just like a sail!

Backside view of the barn doors. The one on the right is semi-permanently fixed in place. It has hinges but I screwed it to the door jamb to hold everything in place so they wouldn't flop around in the wind.

I put the blow torch to the door on the right today. Didn't use as much heat or linger waiting for the plastic to shrink. It worked perfectly.

We'll try again tomorrow to hang the rest of the plastic. Put some thought into it and instead of going from the back (east) working towards the front we'll start at the front and work back. Less likelihood the wind will work against us. Standby....

Sunday, October 3, 2010

There's not too many things......

that I'm afraid of on this planet but this is one of them!

This diabolical device is much like a flame thrower! The noise it makes is horrific! It got the job done though!

Here's one of the big barn doors I made and shrunk.

If you look close you can see where I burned a few holes in the plastic. There seems to be a delay in the time it takes the plastic to actually shrink and if you linger too long over one spot with the flame it just burns through. You can also see the thin spots that'll likely receive a patch.

Here's another example of a burn through which I repaired with the tape I bought with the shrink wrap plastic. This time I was too close to the plastic with the flame thrower.

Just another pic of the barn doors I made today.

Saturday, October 2, 2010

And on the 15th day the rains let up

It's been raining almost steady for the last two weeks. Finally this weekend the weather straightened itself out and we got back to work. It probably doesn't look it but we put in a full days work today. I had my buddy Andrew helping out (Paid labor, he's just a highschool kid but a good worker).

Framing up the shed doors etc.

Ready to be shrunk tight!

That'll come likely next Saturday. I can probably hang the plastic on the back end but will definitely need help draping the big sheets over the top of this monster!

Picked up a few small trinkets for the boat off of E-Bay this week. Just to keep my hand in the online auction game.

This little porthole will go in the door to the head.

These lil' jewels are called "Hawse Pipes". They'll go in the forward part of the hull and the mooring lines will pass through them to the cleats mounted inboard.

More to come, standby...