Thursday, October 1, 2015

Bedding, filleting, taping stringers

Haven't been totally slacking off. The weather's changed and it's very nice for working in the boat shed. This morning it was a lil' chilly at 12 C but warmed up nicely by noon to a comfortable 16C.

Got to work with some sanding and then time to mix goop. Now mixing up epoxy glue is pretty hard on my hands. It didn't take long before they were screaming at me to stop! So had to fall back on the old way we mixed up epoxy glue. Went into the kitchen and rifled through some of the ole' Lady's kitchen gadgets till I found her hand mixer!
Mixing epoxy glue with hand mixer
Now this is the way to do it boys! Couple minutes with the mixer and you've got a nice peanut butter consistency goop!
All mixed ready to go!
I don't have a proper mixing bowl and this ice cream bucket has some pretty sharp corners so you have to take a minute and scrape out and mix up the stuff from the corners. Once you get this done you load it into a plastic freezer bag and use that like a cake piping bag.

Stringers bedded & fillets done
Takes awhile to get the goop under the stringers. I just kept squeezing till it came out the other side. There's a 2 popsicle stick height of the stringers off the bottom. This all gets filled with the goop.
Pretty nice fillets!
I laid down some pretty nice fillets if I don't say so myself! *Pat on the back*  Maybe I'm finally getting the hang of this stuff.
Stringers taped
Once the fillets set up a bit I taped them into place. Normally I would have done at least 3 layers of tape but my hands were absolutely killing me by now.

More tomorrow.

Standby.....


No comments:

Post a Comment