Sunday, October 4, 2015

Glassing bulkhead panels

I'm alive and well. Lori didn't kill me for using her mixer. That's a $1 yard sale mixer she picked up a few years ago. We've burnt out a couple of them so far mixing glue.

Been down for the count for the better part of 3 days with an ear infection. Right ear deaf as a post & ringing constantly. :-(  Self medicating with Mexican Antibiotics so should be cleared up soon.

Anywho, managed to haul my butt out to the shed this morning. Lil' stiff getting going these cold mornings. I didn't much feel like crawling around in the bottom of the boat so decided to glass the two aft bulkhead panels.
Glass laid out on two bulkheads
This glass is offcuts from other parts of the boat hull. I had planned to use them up for just this purpose. These panels don't have to be totally fiberglassed but I have the stuff and it won't add much extra weight.
Neat coat of epoxy prior to laying the glass
I gooped & peel plied the two panels. First a neat coat of epoxy over the bare wood. When I finished they looked a little dry but they're not. I lifted the ply and the glass underneath is fully wetted out.
Wetted out and peel plied
I'll have to keep my eye on them for awhile. I did roll on extra epoxy and squeegeed them well. I think it's the cheap peel ply doing it. I'll be glad when it's gone but I have a full roll still in the box. Maybe I'll sell it on Kijiji or something.

Tomorrow I'll flip these panels over and do the other side.

Standby....

No comments:

Post a Comment