Sunday, May 29, 2011

Slow and steady will

win this race. Not being actually as smart as I thought I was I tried to glue and tape both sides of some panel seams at once. The result was a massive failure.



Voids in the splices are unacceptable. They'll eventually lead to a failure of the panel or worse. So I got to spend some quality time with my power planer, grinder and belt sander to get rid of this mess. Oh, and it wasn't just one joint I had to fix it was FOUR! *sigh* Anyhow after some grinding and sanding and lots of scratching I managed to get them fixed up.



These are the panels that'll eventually make up the sides of the boat, the sides most people will notice first so I have to make them as near perfect as I can get.

It's been getting a lil' warm in the shed, low 90's F yesterday and I knew I'd have to do something about ventilation so it was off to Lowe's for some fans. This lil' box fan ($15) pulls enough air out of the shed to lower the temp inside close to what it is outside. At $15 a pop I can afford to burn up a few of them for this project. A proper ventilator would have ten times that cost.



And......... if it gets too warm this lil' puppy will blow a hurricane though the shed! ;-)



That's about it for now. I have a few more splices to do then there's some fiberglass that needs to be cut to match the bottom and side panels. That's gonna be fun! NOT!

Feel free to carry on doing whatever it was you were doing! ;-)