Wednesday, August 17, 2011

I really wish I knew

what I was doing. I told ya I make most of this up as I go along. This strongback thing isn't any different. It's supposed to be simple ladder frame to hold the uprights that will hold the forms in position. Ok, well there's a picture in the instructions and plenty online but it still baffles me a bit. It's a good thing I don't build houses for a living!

I figured I had better start out plumb with my first post.


Pretty simple. Ok, all 10 of these are at different heights and have to be leveled individually, that's one of the downsides to working directly on the ground. There are times I wish I had poored a concrete pad to work on.

The next step was getting the second post square and plumb at the same time in relation to the first post.


My poor lil' laser level doesn't have 'nuff laserin' power to be visible in the daylight so I'll go out tonight after it gets dark and see how I did with just the long spirit level.


This is as far as I got before the temp climbed to over 34 degs C (about 94 F) and I had to bug out for the afternoon.


Hopefully tomorrow I'll get this thing finished and can start setting up the forms. I did make a few mistakes but I blame them on the supervisor falling down on the job today.


That's it for now. Time to cool down a bit.




1 comment:

  1. Building on a Concrete pad only gives you a firm surface to work on. Its not going to be level, flat, or even very consistent. The ground should serve your back much better than concrete.

    Personally, I think that a proper "spirit level" is more accurate than a laser, especially at a closer distance.

    Coming along nicely!

    -Ben Sebens

    ReplyDelete