Saturday, September 1, 2012

I've been thinking.....

This is when Lori always says: "Uh oh!" :-)

Well I'm always thinking. I'm the idea guy! Straddling the line between genius and insanity I say!

I'm half thinking about revisiting the infusion process for some of this boat hull project. Gotta put some more thought into that. I'll eliminate a lot of issues but also adds some expense and a great potential for disaster! No risk, no reward, correct?

Anywho, this morning I tried filling the little voids left in the tape with straight epoxy. It immediately ran straight out. I think that was my problem. The epoxy just ran out leaving dry tape behind. The peelply should have helped mitigate this actually. So I decided to mix up a batch of "baby puke" (cause that's exactly what it looks like) which is epoxy thickened with micro baloons. It really does look like the stuff Daniel used to spit up all the time! :-)

This did a better job and will require just a light sanding before the next layers go over top. There are a few larger voids that'll have to be ground out and repaired.

The tape would just not lay down on some sections. I'm suspecting I got a bad roll of tape. Either got wet or contaminated somehow. Anyhow, no biggie, I ordered another roll from Noah's so we're all set now.

The keel seams are all taped now. Just a few small parts on the very back of the keel to add some extra material for piece of mind.

Once this is all setup it's back to the sander to prep the hull for fiberglass! Thank gawd it's been a long haul with a bum knee and the heat. I'm really looking forward to getting the outside done and this thing flipped!

Time to go put my thinkin' cap on and maybe a power nappy! :-)

Standby.....