Tuesday, August 13, 2013

There's a lot I don't know

There's a lot I don't know about building this boat and the Internet is a wealth of information. There's also quite a few fella's out there that kindly contribute their time and expertise to help us ijjits get past the lil' learning hurdles that we have to jump in order to 'not make too big a mess' of our projects. To them I tip my hat and send huge thanks!

Anywho that being said today's task was to clean up the transom and lay on the last layer of fiberglass. I decided to do the transom in case I mess it up. I'll be putting on a layer of 10 oz satin weave fiberglass. I've never worked with this fabric before and if I totally mess it up it'll be in a less conspicuous place (I hope).

939 grams (33oz) of 10 oz fiberglass (so just a tad over 3 sq yds) weighted out prior to putting it on the transom. This will give me an idea of how much epoxy I'll need. Update: I used just a tad over a litre of epoxy (1000 grams).

The rest of the morning's activities were recorded as another epic home movie! Enjoy!



I'm not totally enthused with the results. As much as I rolled and squeegeed I still ended up with a few small bubbles likely caused by the deep weave of the fabric.



I'm hoping this won't be too much of an issue. I'm glad I started on the transom and learned a bit about this fabric and how it reacts before I start on the sides. I'm thinking two coats of epoxy with some cabosil before I lay on the fabric might fill the weave and help eliminate some of these bubbles.

Today's tune from the Boat Shed is Mötley Crüe - Same Old Situation (which kind of applies to my current situation!)



Standby....


No comments:

Post a Comment